Positive Voice Blog

PERSONAL DEVELOPMENT. PRODUCTIVITY. MOTIVATION. POSITIVITY

Ways to increase productivity

8 simple ways to increase your productivity

Ways to increase productivity

Note: This post contains affiliate links.

You see, we’re all in a quest for more time as a student, a blogger, an entrepreneur, a teacher, a stay at home mum, etc. We want more time to get things done.

The issue of having a short time has always been the regular excuse for not being productive.

Being productive is all about how well we can manage and make good use of the 24 hours we have in a day or 168 hours in a week especially when we have lots of stuff to do and too many distractions.

We’ve all been there and I must admit, it’s very annoying.

So now the question is, how can I become more productive?

8 Simple ways to increase your productivity Click To Tweet

Below, is a systematic guide on how to become more productive. 8 simple ways to increase daily productivity

1. STOP MULTITASKING: We’ll have to realise that we cannot get all tasks done at the same time. Trying to achieve everything at the same time is a sure way to achieve nothing. Sometimes, we think doing multiple things at the same time saves time but in reality, we are just wasting time. According to experts and research, multitasking decreases productivity by 40% and it’s detrimental to the brain.
  2. PLAN THE DAY/WEEK: Get up early and make plans for the day. If you’re someone like me that struggles with getting up early, then plan your next day the previous night before going to bed. Make a TO-DO-LIST; write everything that needs to be done in a journal, diary or a random piece of paper. You should also consider using planners. Planners help me get organised. Write everything, even if you have 1000 tasks to carry out, don’t let the amount of work pull you down or overwhelm you.
  3. MAKE A SCALE OF PREFERENCE: We can call it a priority list. Prioritise everything that needs to be done according to their level of importance to you. The most important things at the top and the least important at the bottom of the list. I use planners to make my priority list. “Good things happen when you get your priorities straight”-Scott Caan
  4. MAKE A PLAN: How do you plan to accomplish all these tasks? What actions need to be taken in order get these things done? Along the line, some things might not go well as planned. Don’t let that bother you. You just need to adjust your plans.
  5. SET DEADLINES: Make a rough estimate of how much time you will spend on a particular task. Don’t bang your head on the wall if you don’t accomplish a task after the deadline has reached. You just need to adjust your deadline.
  6. ELIMINATE DISTRACTIONS: Anything that isn’t connected to what you want to achieve is a distraction. Eliminate all distractions to maximise productivity. I spend most of my time using my laptop, therefore I use online tools to help me stay focused when I am working on very important tasks.  You can Use Pomodoro’s technique to help you manage time properly and eliminate distractions. This technique challenges you to work on a particular task for a specified period of time (usually 25 minutes) before moving to the next task.
  7. REMEMBER TRACK YOUR PROGRESS: This is the only the way to make sure you are not just being busy, but busy getting things done and not busy doing nothing.
  8. REMEMBER TO TAKE A BREAK: Taking breaks helps improve attention, boost focus and improve productivity according to research. Before switching to the next task, take a break. Of course, not everyone can afford taking breaks in between tasks but you can pause for few minutes.
8 ways to increase productivity: Stop mutitasking, plan your day/week, Prioritise your tasks, make… Click To Tweet

Izuzu Nworgu • August 19, 2016

Previous Post

Next Post

Comments

1. Lesley-Anne August 22, 2016 - 11:56 am Reply

Great post. Really good advice. I shall be referring to this today as I try to plan my week.

• Izuzu Nworgu August 24, 2016 - 12:29 pm Reply

Thank you Lesley-Anne. I’m glad you found this post helpful.

Have a fabulous week.

2. Kandja Sylla August 24, 2016 - 1:49 am Reply

I love the systematic guide you listed here. These are the things I often forget to do. Especially the multitasking part–so guilty! Thanks for the share. xx

• Izuzu Nworgu August 24, 2016 - 12:43 pm Reply

Hello Kandja,
      I’m glad you love the guide.

Sometimes, we all forget to do these things especially the multitasking part like you said.
      Reminding ourselves will definitely get us back on track and increase our daily productivity.

Have a great week.

3. Shannon August 24, 2016 - 2:14 pm Reply

These are great. Lately I have been struggling with balancing going to the gym/ exercising, blogging, hanging out with friends, etc. I am a huge introvert so I always struggle with getting everything done that I want to do and also making time for people. Lists are my best friend! also loveee using a planner to plan out my week and days, but I have not been keeping up with that lately. Great tips- really important to not over plan your life either because then we stress ourselves out more!

• Izuzu Nworgu August 24, 2016 - 3:01 pm Reply

Hello shannon,
      Making plans for the day/week is a great thing to do but sometimes, we fail to keep up with these plans because of distractions and the lack of self discipline.

I agree. Over planning can make things worse and that’s why we have to plan carefully.

Thank you for stopping by.

Enjoy your day.

4. Andrea August 25, 2016 - 7:39 pm Reply

Thanks for these reminders! I am constantly, distracting myself by multitasking. I relly need to plan and set a schedule and even have a little ‘mini’ party when I meet my goals! Yay! LOL

• Izuzu Nworgu August 26, 2016 - 2:10 pm Reply

Hi Andrea,
      So true, multitasking is a big distraction and a total waste of time.

Celebrating our little steps of progress (i.e when we meet our goals) will surely keep us happy and motivated.
      Like you said “have a mini party” LOL.
      We can do that by saying congratulations to ourselves in front of a mirror.

Thanks for stoping by. Have a nice day.

5. Dylan August 31, 2016 - 6:42 am Reply

Thanks for the great tips! I will put some of these into action tomorrow!

• Izuzu Nworgu August 31, 2016 - 9:47 pm Reply

Thank you, Dylan.
      Do let us know how it goes

6. Nicole September 3, 2016 - 12:15 am Reply

Fantastic article. Such great advice here. And no. 8 is so important to remember too. You don’t want to work so hard that you get burnt out!

• Izuzu Nworgu September 6, 2016 - 9:10 am Reply

That’s right Nicole, taking breaks helps a lot.
      Thank you for reading.

7. Amber September 3, 2016 - 5:58 pm Reply

These are great suggestions. I recently began using block scheduling to focus chunks of my day on one tasks or set of related tasks, and my productivity has increased so much since I stopped multitasking. Thanks for sharing! Do you use a planner?

• Izuzu Nworgu September 6, 2016 - 9:14 am Reply

Hi, Amber.
      Sometimes, I do and it helps me a lot.

8. Rosemary October 1, 2016 - 6:10 pm Reply

Great tips. I especially like the ideas of making a plan, measuring progress and taking a break!! All important to be productive….and of course…no multi-tasking!!

• Izuzu Nworgu October 6, 2016 - 8:50 am Reply

I’m glad you love these ideas
      Thank you for stopping by.

9. Sharon October 1, 2016 - 8:23 pm Reply

I love lists like these. While I try to do this list already, I loved reading over and being reminded again. Thanks for sharing!

• Izuzu Nworgu October 6, 2016 - 8:49 am Reply

Thank you so much, Sharon and you’re welcome

10. Barrie October 2, 2016 - 3:15 am Reply

Excellent advice. I’m a crazy multitasker…I should probably try to focus on something else.

• Izuzu Nworgu October 6, 2016 - 8:48 am Reply

11. Dave October 22, 2016 - 9:16 pm Reply

Wonderful tips here, especially your ‘Scale Of Preference’ idea. I’ve used the Pomodoro technique before and it really helps.

• Izuzu Nworgu November 3, 2016 - 1:48 pm Reply

The Pomodoro technique is great. It helps you manage time properly.
      I’m glad you like the scale of preference idea!

12. Justin October 22, 2016 - 9:28 pm Reply

Thanks! I needed this… Wonderful suggestions.

• Izuzu Nworgu November 3, 2016 - 1:46 pm Reply

I’m glad you found this wonderful!
      Thanks!

13. Beth | Adventuring the Great Wide Somewhere October 23, 2016 - 4:17 am Reply

I’ve found that scheduling things out is the best way to keep on track. I’m more likely to sit down and get to work if my “due dates” are posted on the wall, a constant reminder not to be so lazy, ha! And I agree, it’s important to focus on one thing at a time. Multitasking is not always the most efficient way of doing things!

• Izuzu Nworgu November 3, 2016 - 1:44 pm Reply

Scheduling works for me too. It helps me stay on track.
      I’ve discovered that multitasking gets me confused and it reduces my productivity. Focus on one task first and when you’re done, you move on to the next task.

14. Nicole | The Professional Mom Project October 24, 2016 - 11:14 pm Reply

Thanks for the helpful tips. My difficulty is definitely with getting distracted there’s just so much going on all the time!

• Izuzu Nworgu November 3, 2016 - 1:40 pm Reply

I’m glad you found this helpful.
      Distractions are one of the biggest hindrances.

15. michele November 7, 2016 - 5:57 pm Reply

thanks so much for the post i m so bad at being productive but since i stopped working and blog full time i really need to improve that! i can sit in a cafe to work for 3 hours but didn’t write half a blog post i just keep surfing and surfing and online shopping! not good!
    I also find that i have to seriously declutter my desk or else i just cannot focus! and i had to go out to cafe or library which is taking more time because of commuting! drop by my place 🙂

16. Kayla November 7, 2016 - 8:20 pm Reply

What a great post! This is just what I needed today since I’ve been a bit scattered lately. I have a great planner but I keep forgetting to use it, and when I use it I feel I’m not writing the right things down. Hopefully I can get myself on track with it once again though, so thank you!

17. Ruth Bowers November 7, 2016 - 9:49 pm Reply

These are great tips! I’m a planner and a list maker, and use a bullet journal to keep myself organized. Without it I wouldn’t know where to start each day. 🙂

18. Rhonda Swan November 8, 2016 - 8:02 pm Reply

Wow, way to be productive and unstoppable. Great info. Cheers!

19. Casey the College Celiac May 25, 2017 - 1:05 am Reply

I’m definitely a multitasker, but making lists always helps me. Something about checking an item off!

20. Marlene May 25, 2017 - 4:18 am Reply

This post couldn’t have come at a better time. I have the shortest attention span when I am bored and that is when I start getting sidetracked. I think I will try the not multitasking for a bit and see if that helps. as is I have 7 tabs open trying to get things done!

21. Bailey May 25, 2017 - 5:45 pm Reply

Planning is SO key to my productivity.

22. Viviane Feeney May 25, 2017 - 11:09 pm Reply

The slap in the face I needed for the times I’ve chained watched YouTube instead of blogging! Oops…

23. Estefania May 26, 2017 - 5:55 am Reply

This post couldn’t have come at a better time. Thanks 😊

• Izuzu Nworgu May 26, 2017 - 10:34 am Reply

You’re welcome

24. Carola May 26, 2017 - 11:02 pm Reply

Thanks for the tips! Very useful. We all need some inspiration from time to time to increase productivity.

• Izuzu Nworgu May 27, 2017 - 10:51 am Reply