How to create and monetize a blog
*This post may contain affiliate links*
This post has nothing to do with personal development but I have to publish it here because many people have asked me about how to create and monetize a blog.
Therefore, instead of answering them individually, I’ve decided to write a detailed and simplified post on this topic.
Before I start, I have to admit this bitter truth; your blog is never going to be successful overnight but that doesn’t mean it can’t be successful.
It takes time, patience, determination, hard work (not just working hard but working smart) and perseverance.
SO LET’S START
Before I dive into the step by step guide on how to create a blog, I’ll like to mention that your blog can either be on a free hosted blogging platform or self-hosted blogging platform.
What is a blogging platform?
A blogging platform is used to publish blog posts or articles you’ve written on the internet.
There are a lot of blogging platforms but I’m going to mention just two; Blogger and WordPress.
These two platforms have free hosted blogging platforms and paid (or self-hosted blogging platform) platforms and if you’re very serious about blogging, I’d advise you to go with a self-hosted blogging platform but if you don’t have the startup capital or you just want to play around with your blog, you can go with the free blogging platform and migrate to a self-hosted one when you’re ready to.
The free hosted blogging platform for blogger is blogspot.com
The free hosted blogging platform for WordPress is wordpress.com and the paid one is wordpress.org
Free hosted blogging platform, self-hosted blogging platform. What does that mean?
Let me explain.
Free hosted blogging platform: It is free and easy to set up but it has a lot of limitations.
Limitations of free hosted blogging platforms
- You don’t have full control over your blog.
- Your domain address will always have blogspot.com or wordpress.com attached to it unless you go for a self-hosted blogging platform.
- You have limited advertising options. Most ad networks will not approve your application unless you have a certain amount of traffic.
- It appears less professional.
- Migrating from a free hosted blogging platform to a self-hosted blogging platform is a bit stressful.
Self-hosted blogging platform: You pay a web hosting company to host your blog. Web hosting companies are companies that have servers connected to the internet and they make your website (blog) accessible by your visitors.
Cons of self-hosted blogging platform
- Investment is required.
Pros of self-hosted blogging platform
- You have full control over your blog.
- You can install plugins as you wish.
- It appears more professional.
- You have a variety of advertising options.
Before you start, you have to ask yourself these questions.
- Why do I want to start a blog?
- What is my aim?
- What topic (niche) am I passionate about?
- Is this blog for fun or do I intend to treat it like a real business?
- Do I want to create my blog on a self-hosted blogging platform or a free hosted blogging platform?
If you want to create your blog on a self-hosted blogging platform, skip to STEP 3.
After you’ve supplied satisfactory answers to these questions and picked your niche, the next thing to do is to decide which blogging platform you want to go with.
BLOGGER OR WORDPRESS?
If you want to go with the free hosted blogging platform, I suggest you go to with Blogger. Bear in mind that your URL ( that is the link to your blog or your blog’s address) will have blogspot.com attached to it.
That is, if your blog title (name of your blog) is chemistry, your blog URL will be chemistry.blogspot.com
Note: You must have a Gmail account to create a blog using Blogger. You can create one if you don’t have.
Step by step guide on how to create a blog on a free hosted blogging platform (Blogger or blogspot.com)
Number 1: Go to blogger.com
Number 2: Click on create your blog
Number 3: Sign in to your Gmail account. There are two options you’d see if you’re a first timer; to use your google plus profile or a limited blog post profile. I suggest you use your Google plus profile.
Number 4: Click on new blog.
Number 5: Type the title of your blog in the title box.
Number 6: Type your address in the address box (your address should be the same with your blog title). Bear in mind that your blog address will have blogspot.com attached to it.
Number 7: Choose your template by clicking on any of the templates.
Number 8: Click on create blog.
Congratulations!! You’ve created your blog.
Go to wordpress.com if you want to use WordPress.
The same thing about URL applies here but instead of blogspot.com, it is wordpress.com
Pick your niche (decide which topic you want to write on). For example, I write about personal development. There are other topics like lifestyle, food, fashion, games, entertainment, etc.
Choose your web hosting company.
What is a web hosting company?
Web hosting companies are companies that have servers connected to the internet and the make your website (blog) accessible by your visitors
I use WHOGOHOST and I recommend it because I am very contented with it and it has affordable hosting plans.
There are several other web hosting companies;
HOW TO MONETIZE YOUR BLOG
I’d advise you to grow your blog audience and traffic to some extent before you think of monetizing it but there is nothing wrong with monetizing it right away.
So now, the question is; how can I grow my blog audience and traffic?
- Write! Write!! Write!!! Don’t be afraid to hit the publish button.
- Use relevant keywords in your posts and optimise your posts for search engines.
- Don’t forget to use relevant images. A blog post without images will appear boring. (I use canva to create images for my blog posts).
- Promote your blog on your social media accounts.
- Create a page on Facebook for your blog.
- Use Pinterest and Join Pinterest group boards (I have a group board on Pinterest)
- Join relevant Facebook groups.
- Use Instagram, Twitter, etc
- Submit your blog to social book marking sites like Ezine.
- Write guest posts for other bloggers.
- Connect with other bloggers.
- Don’t forget to be you! Write in your own voice and style. Do not copy.
4 WAYS TO GENERATE INCOME FROM YOUR BLOG
Many bloggers make a living online and this did not happen in a twinkle of an eye.
Like I said earlier on; time, patience, hard work, determination, and perseverance matters a lot if you really want to generate income from your blog.
Sign up for any of these.
- AFFILIATE MARKETING
- Commission Junction
- Linkshare (Rakuten)
- Ads Networks:
- Freelance writing
- Sponsored posts
- Virtual assistance